

Buster is the friendliest cat I have ever known - and the 'talking-est'. Before we know he is on the place, we hear him coming around the corner of the house - talking. Hearing him, we look up and there comes Buster - talking away. You can bet he gets plenty of loving. My student helpers love him and he enjoys them and all their attention. He seems to be lonely during the day; I suppose his people are at work and school, so he comes visiting and joins the group.


We are not the only ones he favors with his presence. He also crosses the street (scares me to know that he does, thankfully ours is not a busy street), to visit with a retired neighbor who enjoys sitting out of doors. Buster likes to get in his lap and visit.
Very un-cat-like, Buster is never shy around a stranger. He just loves people. I have never seen another cat so much like that. The more people... the happier he is. He acts much like a dog. Occasionally, I am the only person out there sitting on the ground working, but he forgives me and gives me his whole attention whether I have time for it or not. We talk, and he keeps me company until he sees another person somewhere and then off he goes.
Not only is Buster the friendliest and best personality on the block, he is beautiful - very dapper in his formal-looking medium gray with white trimmings. Husband/Best Friend/Chief Photographer says to me, "Your friend in the gray and white pin-stripe suit is out there looking for you. He followed me into the garage, talking."

Buster's body shape is that typical of his breed, or so I have read. He is a boxy, squarish shape, or rather, rectangular, I suppose. He is a chunky armful and heavy. He has a beautiful head, short ears, big yellow eyes, and white whiskers. Handsome as can be! Even more distinctive is his lack of a tail. You see, Buster is of the Manx breed of cats reportedly indigenous to the Isle of Man.
I have read that within a single litter of purebred Manx kittens there can be kittens with tails, some with a rudimentary stump of a tail, and some with none. Buster's high hips sport no tail at all and he doesn't seem to mind at all. I guess one is not inclined to miss what one has never had. He doesn't need a tail, thank you, he's beautiful as he is, and he knows it.
Recently, we have made the acquaintance of one Mademoiselle Jade who has a beautiful bushy tail, and who actually does live on the Isle of Man in the middle of the Irish Sea. There she lives with her person, Craftybernie. For a short, and cute as can be, story about Mademoiselle Jade go to her page... but I hope you come back here after your visit. Mademoiselle Jade's Cat Tickler
(Be sure to read Craftybernie's comment below.)
_______________________________>>>Next Page>>>


12 comments:
Buster sounds like a lovely cat to know! My neighbour's cat is a bit like Buster. He's a gorgeous ginger coloured manx.
It's funny stroking a manx cat after stroking my own cat with a tail. Your hand glides along his back and then.... Nothing. It falls off the end of the cat!
I love manx cats. My father-in-law has one - Charlie Possum. He is a typically lovely boy cat: aloof, selective with the company he keeps and friendly when he wants something.
Thanks for including Jade in your story about Buster. It will make Little Miss CB chuckle.
Best wishes..Bernie
Hi Barbee!! Happy New Year! Hope you had a safe one.
Did Buster get anything nice for Christmas?? Jade got a new toy from Santa and a packet of lovely treats from her 'uncle' Charlie Possum.
The new cat hotel Jade stays at also sent her a little Christmas card and a treat. Isn't that sweet!
I've fixed the link you left a comment about - the 'jade likes my bed' one. Thanks for pointing that out!
Best wishes...Bernie
Bernie, I haven't seen or heard from Buster since Christmas; as you know, we do not belong to one another, and he graces me with his company only when he decides to.
I like to think he is too busy for me right now and is staying close to home playing and eating all his favorite Christmas gifts and treats.
I'm sure he will show up in a few days and will tell me all about it. He is a very special, very knowledgeable, and very talkative cat. We have many conversations on diverse subjects.
Thank you for dropping by and for leaving your comment. It is fun hearing from you!
Buster is adorable!
Mary Ann, thank you for visiting and the comment. He's a sweetie!
Buster sounds much like our Speedy except not a manx. What a nice cat-dog!
Oh my, he is really beautiful, Barbee. He looks a lot like the cat I had growing up, Tinkerbell. But there are two major differences - she was not a Manx and she was very antisocial. I'm sending him a virtual hug and cuddle. Happy New Year to you and yours!
Cinj: I think he is the first Manx that I have seen, I knew about them, but had never seen one. Buster is not 'speedy', especially now that he is several years old. Now he is big, old, fat, and lazy... just like me.
JGH: Buster says 'thank you' for the hug and cuddle. He never turns down a chance to get attention.
Interesting, we have a cat named Jon Pickles that looks a lot like Buster/Smokey, he is also very friendly and thinks that everyone who stops by is here to visit him. He is also very mischievous. We call him the Marley of the cat world.
Iowa Gardening Woman, I loved reading about your Jon Pickles. Cats are so much like people, aren't they! All kinds of personalities.
Hello dear Barbee! Buster sounds like such a delightful neighbor :) He is very handsome indeed. I love a cat that 'talks'.
Our most intelligent cats ever (and one of the absolute favorites) was Toby, who we had to find another home for when we moved to Australia. Heartbreaking, that was! He looked a lot like Buster, but wasn't a manx, and he was long and lean.
You're lucky to have such a sweet kitty visitor, and he's lucky to have you :)
I hope you're well and keeping warm and snug indoors during these chilly winter days. We had -5ºF on the back porch this morning, but the sun is shining brightly now, making this a beautiful day...as long as we're inside, looking out!
Hi Kerri, inside looking out is the best place today, I think! Thank you for telling me about your Toby; he sounds precious. I am sorry you had to put him into another home, though I'm sure he was very much loved by even more people. I haven't seen any of the cats for several days now. Guess it's too cold for kitties.
Post a Comment